When it comes to protection from sun damage, one area of the body that is often ignored is our lips. Yes, lips do need protection just as much as the rest of the body. Lip balms with Sun protection factor (SPF) are the most effective way to maintain the lips hydration as well as defend them from damage by harmful sun rays. That is why we have brought to you today a variety of the best cruelty free lip balm with SPF.
SPF 15 is prescribed for everyday use, and SPF 30 or higher is recommended for extended outdoor activity, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation. Reapplication after every two hours and more frequent application in case of prolonged outdoor exposure is recommended by the experts.
Why is it important to protect your lips from the sun?
- Lips lack sebaceous glands, that is why they do not sweat or secrete protective oil, making them more vulnerable to external aggressions. These glands create a hydrolipidic film that protects and hydrates the skin.
- Since lips contain a small amount of melanin, they are more vulnerable to UV rays.
- Lips lose volume and plumpness as they mature due to a decline in collagen development and exposure to UV rays.
These are the reasons why it is important to protect your lips from the sun by using a lip balm with SPF.
Let us take a look on a round-up of the best cruelty free lip balm with SPF to protect your lips from the sun.
Burt’s Bees100% Natural All-Weather SPF15 Moisturizing Lip Balm
Burt’s Bees 100 per cent natural formula leaves your lips feeling soft and fresh along with SPF 15 to protect your precious lips. It does not leave any white residue and has the classic peppermint flavour with a matte finish. It stays water resistant for up to 40 minutes
This balm is formulated with
- Zinc Oxide 11%: active ingredient for sun protection.
- Beeswax, Shea Butter, Cocoa Seed Butter: form a protective barrier on lips.
- Nutritive Oil Blends: olive fruit oil, jojoba seed oil, meadowfoam seed oil, soybean oil
Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25
Next on our list of cruelty free lip balm with SPF is this balm by Jack Black. With nurturing herbal moisturizers, Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 repairs the lips for a healthy look. Its constituents melt onto the lips to protect them from environmental damage. It comes in six variants to choose from making it one of the best cruelty free lip balms with SPF.
Its active ingredients for sun protection include
- Octinoxate and Avobenzone: absorb UVB and UVA respectively
- Petrolatum: skin protectant that forms a protective barrier(FDA-approved).
The key inactive ingredients are
- Shea Butter and Avocado Oil: Natural emollients for moisturization.
- Vitamin E: an antioxidant to protect cells against free-radical damage.
- Green Tea: A powerful antioxidant with soothing properties.
Rosehip & Lemongrass Lip Balm SPF 15 by Eminence Organic Skin Care
This lip balm stick is crafted with natural ingredients to nourish the lips and guard against environmental damage. It helps to tone, repair and refresh dry, tired lips thus, making it one of the best cruelty free lip balm with SPF.
The following constituents give this balm its lip protecting properties
- Zinc Oxide: natural SPF protection
- Rosehip Oil and Olive Oil: improves overall lip texture
- Comfrey: acts as an emollient that gently lubricates and improves the elasticity of the lips.
- Lavender: rejuvenates the look of skin
Ultra SPF 30 Coconut Or Watermelon Lip Balm By eos
These 100% Natural SPF Lip Balm provides protection to the lips against environmental aggressors while keeping lips moisturized with a delightful taste. Forget about any skin sensitivities and enjoy the refreshing taste of these scrumptious lip balm.
Its coconut sunscreen lip balm tastes like a coconut mocktail with a hint of pineapple and the other one tastes like juicy watermelon with a kick of lemon. They are comprised of
- Zinc Oxide 10.00%: provides natural SPF protection
- Butters and Waxes: Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Beeswax, Rice Bran Wax, Sunflower Seed Wax to form a protective barrier on the lips and lock in the moisture.
- Oil Blend: Sunflower, Jojoba, Coconut, and Soybean Oil to moisturise the lips.
O’Keeffe’s Lip Repair SPF 35 Lip Balm
O’Keeffe’s Lip Repair SPF 35 Lip Balm provide instant relief to dry and cracked lips and heal them. It keeps the lips moisturised all day and protects them from dryness. This balm has got soothing aloe boost and a matte finish. It provides 80-minute water resistance. Its fast-healing properties makes it one of the best cruelty free lip balm with SPF.
Its active ingredients are:
- SPF Protectants: 2.5% Avobenzone, 6% Octinoxate, 2% Octocrylene
- 17.5% Dimethicone: Skin protectant
- The inactive lip nurturing ingredients include: Beeswax, Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Lime Peel Oil for moisturisation.
Kiss My Face Sport Lip Balm SPF 30
With Sport Lip Balm SPF 30, you can enjoy sun protection while you are at continuous sun exposure. It creates a flexible barrier on the lips and keep them soft, smooth, and moisturised.
Kiss My Face lip balm is comprised of the following
- Active Ingredients for Sun Protection: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 8%, Octinoxate 7%, Octocrylene 2%
- Oil Blends: Coconut Oil, Lime Fruit Oil, Spearmint Leaf Oil, Sea Buckthorn Oil to nurture the lips.
- Beeswax and Shea Butter: for moisture lock in
- Menthol: for a cooling sensation
Sun Bum Sunscreen Lip Balm SPF 30
For daily lip protection, this smooth and hydrating formula with Aloe and Vitamin E is perfect. This three-in-one formula shields, heals, and moisturises the lips.
This lip balm is enriched with:
- SPF Protectants: Avobenzone 2.00%, Homosalate 15.00%, Octisalate 5.00%,
- Nutritive leaf, seed, and flower extracts: to nourish the lips and improve their appearance.
Its variants include Mineral, signature, Coconut, Key Lime, Pomegranate, Mango, Watermelon, Pineapple, and Banana. Its wide variation and vegan friendliness make it one of the best cruelty free lip balm with SPF.
CLASSIC SPF 15 LIP BALM by Eco Lips
Protect your lips with this SPF 15 lip balm by Eco Lips. It features soothing aloe vera that provides refreshing feel. Its SPF balm comes in berry and Mint flavour.
This balm comprises of:
- Sun protectant (Active Ingredients): Octinoxate 7.5%, and Oxybenzone 3%.
- Beeswax, Jojoba Oil, Soy Bean Oil, Aloe Vera, Rosemary Extract: moisturise and nurture lips.
- Calendula: heal lips.
- Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E): known for its antioxidant properties
Daily Care SPF 15 Moisturising Balm by Carmex
Protect, heal, and moisturise your lips with Daily Care SPF 15 Moisturising Balm by Carmex. It stays water-resistant up to 80 minutes.
Its active ingredients for sun protection include:
- Octinoxate 7.50%, Oxybenzone 4.00% absorb UVB and UVA respectively.
- Highlighted inactive Ingredients include petrolatum, lanolin, candelilla wax, beeswax, cocoa seed butter, meadowfoam seed oil to moisturise and nurture lips.
It is available in variants named Fresh Cherry, Strawberry, Wintergreen, Cupcake Batter, Peach Mango.
The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture-Protect Lip Care SPF 15
This hydrating lip balm gives an instant soothing effect on the lips. It protects them from damage and prevents dryness. This lip balm doesn’t irritate the skin on your lips and is suitable for all skin types.
The active ingredients for sun protection include:
- Octisalate 5.0%, Octocrylene 3.0%, Avobenzone 2.0%. Inactive ones include:
- Oil Blend: Castor Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Soybean Oi to moisturise lips.
- Beeswax, Candelilla Wax to form a protective barrier.
Do your lips a favor and stock up on one or more of the above-mentioned best cruelty free lip balm with SPF. So that you can enjoy every season with healthy, happy lips. Blog-Ox.
[…] Balms and Creams have been a tried and tested remedy for dry skin issues since forever. We all have a number of soothing balms and hydrating creams to heal and soothe our chapped lips and flaky skins. But what if we combine the healing properties of the balms and creams with the brightening and illuminating powers of highlighter! Heck Yeah! […]
[…] Cruelty free makeup […]